A-Z glossary

 #  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z


In paper manufacture, a revolving paddle used in STUFF CHESTS or VATS to mix and keep the STUFF stirred. Also used in northern British corn milling as a synonym for DAMSEL.

Alternative terms

Term Language Region
babillard, claquet, frayon, battant m, quenouille, chandelle, 'toupie' f French
Mühlklapper f, Drei-, Vier¦schlag, Anschlag, ‘Tanzmeister’ m German
opzetspil, juffer Dutch

See syntax and abbreviations used in the TIMS Dictionary definitions.
This work is generously supported by Stichting Steunfonds TIMS.