Upper Mills, Wandsworth
The earliest reference to this mill was found in 1521, where it was leased by the Abbot of Westminster. The mill was initially used for corn mill, but by the end of the 1600s/start of the 1700s, the mill had been converted to copper working. In 1721, the mill was converted again, this time to leather working, before returning to copper milling in 1732.
By 1768, the mill was used for corn milling again, and was used for this purpose until the mill caught fire on 29th November 1928. After that the building was leased to a garage company, until its demolition in 1962.
The mill had a breastshot waterwheel.
|Alternative names||Wandsworth Flour Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 256 745|
- K Bailey
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, London (Edition of 1894-96) CXIV (1897)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.