Help us keep this service free
Hecker Mill, New York
Croton Flour Mills were established in 1843, by George Hecker. This was done to supply fine flour to his brother John Hecker, who owned a bakery on Rutger’s Street, New York.
The original mill on this site was destroyed by a fire in 1846. It was rebuilt with a fireproof building later that same year. In 1850, a granary was added next door to the mill, and by 1851 it employed 70 people. It specialised in farina, a finely milled wheat cereal.
The mill was destroyed by another fire on 31 July 1882.
|Alternative names||Croton Flour Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Location||Cherry Street, New York|
- The Finance Chronicle and Insurance Circular (2 February 1885)
- The New York Times (1 August 1882)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.