Help us keep this service free
Johnson's Mill, Higher Bebington
Built probably during the 1810s by the Lightbound family. In c 1880 a steam engine was added. The mill ceased working in the early 20th century, due to the construction of steam mills in Birkenhead.
The sails were removed around the time of WWI and stored in the mill. Attempts to preserve the mill were unsuccessful, and after use as a lookout post during WWII the mill was demolished in 1969.
|Alternative names||Storeton Hill Mill|
|Mill type||Tower mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SJ 3165 8451|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Cheshire XIII (1882)
- Patel, Rowan, The windmills and watermills of Wirral: A historical survey (Countyvise, 2016), p. 102
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.