St Mary's Mill, Aberystwyth
The mill was originally built in 1230. It was later known as Our Lady's Mill as profits from the mill were used to support a church - St Mary's Chapel. The chapel was destroyed by the sea around 1773. All the population of Aberystwyth were asked to use the mill for grinding corn and a toll of one sixteenth of a dish was levied. The original mill was closer to the bridge and the current mill building had machinery driven by steam power. This mill ceased to be active around the 1920s and the building was then used for a variety of purposes including warehousing for Thomas Powell and Company. It has more recently been converted to offices and is the home to the charity Mind.
|Our Lady's Mill
|Wales, United Kingdom
|SN 5830 8138
Colin Cheesman, September 2017.
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.