Milling journals of the past. Messrs John Draper and Son’s St Leonards Mill

    Full details

    Authors & editors

    Cookson, Mildred M [Author]

    Publisher Milling & Grain
    Year of publication 2020 August

    Medium Digital

    Cereal processes > Flour milling > Commercial millers


    Scope & contentAn item in The Miller (March 3rd, 1913) introduced the Cooper's auto-Puro plansifter system which had been recently been installed by milling engineer GW Cooper of Romsey, Hampshire at the St Leonards Mills near Hastings. The milling business at St Leonards was started in 1849 by the father of the then head of the firm, when a good windmill was the first step in a successful milling career. The windmill in question was a substantial wooden smock mill, originally at Croft Road Hastings and moved to nearby Silverhill in 1838.

    It was taken over by William Draper in 1850 and destroyed by fire seventeen years later along with the large stock of wheat and flour. The following year the windmill was rebuilt by John Upfield and for the following 79 years it dominated the skyline of SiJverhill remaining in the hands of the Draper family until 1946. The mill was sadly demolished in 1966... Read more.


    File attachments