Chegworth Mill, Chegworth
House conversion retaining complete machinery. Chegworth Mill was one of the last mills to work in Kent finally stopping in 1961 although it may have continued on an 'informal' basis for a few more years. It survives as a three storey gabled weatherboarded structure with a brick and ragstone first floor. The iron 10'10" x 7' 6" wide overshot wheel by Weeks of Maidstone powered three pairs of stones, a Eureka cleaner, and an oat crusher. In 1989 the mill was converted into a house although the full complement of machinery has been retained - the wheel has been fitted with a new set of buckets to enable it then to work again.
|Power source||Electricity, Water|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 84951 52691|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Historic England National Heritage List for England
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Kent XLIII (1870)
Rob Cumming, May 2016
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.