Upper Mill, Loose
Originally a fulling mill, then a paper mill, its last use was for grinding corn, with three pairs of stones. Later, the overshot waterwheel received extra power at breast level from Leg o’ Mutton Pond. In its latter days the water power was insufficient, and a beam-engine worked in conjunction with the waterwheel. The mill closed in 1908 and has since been demolished. In the surviving wheelpit are two hydraulic rams.
This mill had an overshot waterwheel.
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 762 519|
- Alan Stoyel, Mills Archive Foundation Trustee
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.