Ryarsh Mill, Ryarsh
1832 J & T Phillips
1878 Thomas Phillips
1899-1920 Thomas Stevens
From Simmons Collection: - “Ryarsh Mill is gutted of its interesting old gear” (PD, 1965). Rob Cumming Inspection, 11/10/1986:- “Gutted with remains of wheel. The mill was rebuilt in 1858, and stopped work c.1920. It was worked in conjunction with Leybourne Mills. The mill was apparently deliberately gutted by fire in the 1950’s, the lower two floors are replacements because of this. The top two floors have their bins and remains of the sack hoist in place. There were two pairs of stones. The overshot wheel has had its wooden rims, sole plates and buckets removed. It measures 14 feet in diameter, by 4 ft 4” wide, and has six arms, which are of one casting. The shaft is octagonal. The penstock has a damaged nameplate “Gardiner of Sittingbourne, 1863”.”
|River||Tributary to Medway|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Location||Ryarsh, Tonbridge and Malling|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 677 585|
- The mill c 1910. Image courtesy of Rob Cumming.
- The mill c 1920. Image courtesy of Rob Cumming.
- Photo by Rob Cumming, 1986.
- Photo by Rob Cumming, May 2010.
- Alan Stoyel, Mills Archive Foundation Trustee
Rob Cumming, May 2016
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.