Earsham Mill, Earsham
It is believed that there was a watermill here from Saxon times. By the 18th century it belonged to the Clarke family. In 1863 it was rebuilt and fitted with 11 pairs of millstones, powered by water and steam. In 1893 it was converted to roller milling with a Whitmore and Binyon two sack plant. The mill passed to the Marston family in 1900 and was remodelled in 1904 to a 3 1/2 sack plant powered by a turbine and coal gas.
Ownership of the mill passed to Hovis (later Rank Hovis McDougall) in 1939, and it continued to grind flour for bread until 1962 when it became an animal feed mill. A £250,000 remodelling 1975 increased the output significantly from 150 to 1000 tonnes a week, but the mill was forced to close only a few years later, in 1981.
|Power source||Electricity, Steam, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TM 3263 8871|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Cookson, Mildred, "The Earsham Roller Flour Mills on the River Waveney in Norfolk" (Milling and Grain, 126 (6), June 2015, 8)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Norfolk XCVIII.15 (1905)
Related shop products
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.