Town Mill, Bishops Stortford

A electricity- and steam-powered corn mill in the historic county of Hertfordshire, England.

See related images and documents.
See images only.

The original mill was built in 1901 by S Edwards' and Son, powered by steam and with roller mills designed by Edwards. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1935 with Henry Simon machinery. A third mill was built 1979-1982 designed and equipped by Thomas Robinson. The mill became part of Associated British Foods in 1963, although continuing to be run by members of the Edwards family until the 1990s. It is now associated with the 'Allinson's' brand of flour.

Full details

Alternative names Beech Flour Mill, Edward's Mill
Power source Electricity, Steam
Mill type Roller flour mill
Mill function Corn mill
Archive ID 7928
Location Bishops Stortford
Historic county Hertfordshire
Country England, United Kingdom
NGR TL 491 211
Latitude/longitude 51.86825252, 0.16349167



  • Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
  • Howes, Hugh, Wind, water and steam: The story of Hertfordshire's mills (University of Hertfordshire Press, 2016), pp. 47-48, 234
  • Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 69


Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.