Stoke Mill, Sharnbrook
Daniel Hipwell (1786-1878), founder of Hipwell & Sons, took over the tenancy of the mill in 1817. His family purchased the property in 1929. The original mill house, attached to the mill, was rebuilt in stone c.1817. A turbine replaced two wheels in 1889, and was still in use until 1969. Waterpower was augmented, at first by steam in the mid to late 19th century, then by diesel and finally, in 1962, by electricity. The mill had 6 pairs of millstones, which were superseded by roller milling machinery using the "gradual reduction process". Extensions to the mill included an extra storey by raising the roof 12 feet. The large silo and grain drier in the mill yard was designed by the late George A "Bill" Blackburn for Hipwell & Sons in 1965. Associated British Foods (ABF) took over the property in 1961, but the existing board of directors of Hipwell & Sons continued to run the business.
Production became uneconomic when the large port mills were built after World War 2, and on 29th June 1969, Stoke Mills ceased milling Gold Award-winning flour, used for making bisuits and bread. Milling was continued until the mill estate was dispersed.
Stoke Mills is now home to The Mill Theatre. The Mill House retains its name as a hotel and restaurant.
|Power source||Electricity, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TL 0112 5906|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Bedfordshire VII.6 (1884)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 05
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.