Buckland Flour Mill, Buckland, Dover
There has been a flour mill at Bucklands since 1666. The current mill was built by William Kingsford around 1820, and was sold by 1833, first to Mr Henshaw Lathem, who in turn sold it to Mr T B Bass, John Hayward, and James Worsfold. These 3 were not millers, so they let the mill to John and Edward Pilcher. The mill was again sold in 1865 to Wilsher Mannering.
The mill had 5 pairs of stones, driven by an overshot wheel. In 1870 the flour was still made using these stone, but the latest dressing machinery was put in. It was also around this time, that the brick building was added to the original wooden mill. In 1895, relatively late, the mill switched over to roller milling machinery.
This mill had a water turbine.
|Alternative names||Mannerings Mill|
|Power source||Electricity, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TR 30912 42489|
- Alan Stoyel, Mills Archive Foundation Trustee
- JM, Milling (21 December 1957)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Kent LXVIII.9 (1898)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.