Watermill, Great Marlow
Over the years there have been several mills in Great Marlow. Leland, writing in the early 1500s, refers to two mills at Marlow, one for making linseed oil, one for the manufacture of thimbles. However, it is possible that these mills were at Temple, on the Berkshire side of the river. Jonathan Jones was a miller in 1694, followed by George Phelps in 1696. In 1723 four mills in Great Marlow were in the possession of John and Mary Ferrers. By 1823 a paper mill was run by Francis Pepper and the Wright family, and John Jacques described himself as a corn miller and paper maker. In 1826 a large fire, seemingly the result of arson, consumed the Wright’s mill. The paper mill of Mr Pepper and flour mill of Mr Jacques were saved. Stanley Freese described the group of mills and ancillary buildings as they appeared, now disused, in the 1930s. The corn mill was three-storeyed, red-tiled and wood-boarded, with sack lofts at either end and on the west side an undershot water wheel, about 18ft diameter. Some machinery had been removed 30 years previously. West of the corn mill stood a paper mill, slate-roofed, with two brick storeys and a top floor of white painted woodwork. The mill was powered by an undershot wheel, 20ft in diameter by 3ft. The site is now occupied by modern residences.
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 854 861|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.