Mill:

Mill End Mill, Hambleden

A water-powered corn mill in the historic county of Buckinghamshire, England.

See related images and documents.
See images only.

On the River Thames, this mill and Olney Mill are widely regarded as the two finest in Buckinghamshire. Hambleden is a Domesday mill, when the rent was worth £1. Parts of the present mill are said to date from the 17th century. Built on a brick foundation, the fine mill has a white, wood-boarded exterior over three storeys, with a tiled roof. Former millers included Richard Fisher (1798), Jethro Lailey (1843), followed by John Henry House. Subsequently the mill business was run by Messrs Barnett, then Messrs Barnett & Smith, and C Barnett & Sons; by the 1930s Messrs James Donaldson & Sons (Oxon) had taken over. Until 1939 the mill was worked by a single undershot waterwheel, about 22ft diameter by 6 ft breadth. At some stage the waterwheel was removed and replaced by a turbine. In 1974 a planning application for conversion was placed. It is now occupied by flats.

Full details

Alternative names Hambleden Mill
Power source Water
Mill type Watermill
Mill function Corn mill
Archive ID 6726
Location Hambleden
Historic county Buckinghamshire
Country England, United Kingdom
NGR SU 783 849
Latitude/longitude 51.55755900, -0.87195258

Location

References

  • Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
  • Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
  • Major, J K, SPAB, Mills Section Record Card (1974)

 

Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.