Upper Mill, Quemerford
This watermill is believed to have been built in the early 1590s by Roger Chivers. In 1646 it was held by Henry Vince and was a fulling mill. In 1759 it was bought by Stephen Heale, drugget maker, and was a grist and fulling mill. By 1828 it was used as grist mill.
The mill was enlarged 1860 and possessed five pairs of stones and new overshot wheel. From 1910 it was occupied by Pound Brothers. It was acquired by Rawlings and Phillips in the early 1920s; at that time it was used to grind grain and animal feed.
In 1932 the waterwheel was replaced with turbine, and in 1935 a second, steel framed mill was built, clad in corrugated. In 1943 both mills were acquired by Rank Hovis McDougall and in 1950 electricity replaced water power in the old mill. In 1982 milling ceased and in 1986 the new mill was demolished, and the old converted to offices.
|Alternative names||New Mill, Provender Mill|
|Power source||Electricity, Water|
|Mill function||Corn mill, Fulling mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 0076 6955|
- 'Calne: Economic history', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17, Calne, ed. D A Crowley (London, 2002), pp. 79-94. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol17/pp79-94 [accessed 27 October 2020].
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
Jack Iason, September 2020
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.