Lower Mill, Quemerford
The mill is believed to have been in existence as a fulling mill by 1515 in the possession of the Blake family, and was conveyed to Henry Chivers in 1560. The mill later passed into the possession of Henry Vince.
In 1759 it was bought by John Gaby and by 1764 it belonged to Ralph Heale. Around 1800 it was rebuilt as a cloth mill powered by an 18 foot wide waterwheel, and from 1815 a steam engine. In 1841 it became a corn mill.
It was occupied from c 1889 to 1949 by Edwin Pound, and was then bought by H R and S Sainsbury who produced animal feed. In the 1980s it was converted to housing.
|Alternative names||Quemerford Mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill, Fulling mill, Textile mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 0061 6973|
- 'Calne: Economic history', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17, Calne, ed. D A Crowley (London, 2002), pp. 79-94. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol17/pp79-94 [accessed 27 October 2020].
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
Jack Iason, September 2020
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.