Chew Mills, Keynsham
This was a fulling mill then a grain mill from 1533. By 1705, it was used for brass battery manufacture until the 1870s. In the 1880s, the mill was used for the production of emery cloths and glass papers. In the 1890s, it used to process ochre for the paint industry. There were four undershot waterwheels here in the 19th century. Later preserved as a feature in the town’s Memorial Park.
|Mill function||Colour mill, Corn mill, Emery mill, Fulling mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||ST 6566 6855|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Ordnance Survey 25-inch map, Somerset VII.13 (1884)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.