Greensmith's Mill, Hilton
The mill belonged to T C Greensmith & Co. Originally a water powered corn mill, it moved to roller milling and steam power. After closure in the mid 20th century it was converted into a house.
A fire in November 1884, that broke out in the elevator head, was prevented because buckets of water were kept at the mill. This practice was praised by Mr J H Chatterton, a man known in insurance circles in 1885.
|Alternative names||Hilton Mill|
|Power source||Steam, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SK 2424 3046|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Derbyshire LIII.12 (1881)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 35
- The Finance Chronicle and Insurance Circular (2 February 1885)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.