There was no mill at Domesday, but by 1291 the Abbess of Barking held one or more mills here. Two watermills were present in 1669, probably in one building, and there is further reference to a pair of water corn-mills under one roof in 1724, and again, when the title was offered for sale, in 1808. For a period the mill was driven by a steam engine, installed about 1885. When Stanley Freese visited the site in the 1930s the square, yellow-bricked mill, with a slate roof, stood derelict and desolate, with windows and all machinery missing. A single wheel, small and broad in shape, remained. It was located outside the north wall of the mill building and constructed mainly of wood. It was either undershot or low breastshot. The ruins of the mill were finally cleared in the 1980s.
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 937 214|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.