Watermill, Lavendon, Buckinghamshire
The mill, built mainly of stone, is attached at right-angles to the millhouse. By the 1930s the mill, on the River Ouse, had already become disused. At one stage there were three mills operating under one roof. At the time of Stanley Freese’s visit, only one mill retained its wheel and machinery, though two had survived until a few years previously. Freese describes the remaining wheel as constructed entirely of wood, with three sets of six radial spokes, although most of the wooden buckets were missing. There was a mill at Lavendon at Domesday, and there are early references from the 13th century and again in 1534 and 1671. Structural deterioration led to the mill building being demolished in the 1960s or 1970s, leaving the mill house. This had been built in the late 18th century and over the years was altered. It is now a Grade II listed building.
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 906 525|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.