Park Mill, Princes Risborough
One of three mill sites in Princes Risborough, this mill dates from the 17th century. It was on the estate of Lord Rothschild and was occupied for many years by Joseph Rogers. Around 1893 it passed into the occupation of the Gurney brothers, at which time it had three pairs of stones. Around 1895 it was converted to a roller mill on the Tattersall system.
The mill was powered by an overshot wheel of 23 or 24 feet in diameter, with a steam engine for supplementary power. The mill was still in working order when visited by Stanley Freese in the 1930s, by which time the waterwheel had been replaced by a turbine.
|Power source||Steam, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 7988 0339|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
- Ordnance Survey 25-inch map, Buckinghamshire XXXVII.7 (1898)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.