Watermill, Wotton Underwood
On a tributary of the River Ray, this mill site is close to the parish boundary separating Brill and Wotton Underwood. It is often referred to as Brill Mill. A mill is listed in the Manor of Brill in 1086, but it is uncertain whether this was located on the present site, which, when visited by Stanley Freese in the 1930s, was occupied by a disused water saw-mill. The mill was fed by a small stream controlled by a sluice in the wall of the 38-acre artificial lake in the grounds of Wotton Park. In its final years the mill was driven by steam using a portable engine. All the internal machinery had been dismantled by the 1930s. Externally the mill is a small pink building with a red galvanised iron roof, thought to have been constructed between 1800 and 1810.
|England, United Kingdom
|SP 660 150
- Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
- Major, J K, SPAB Mills Section Record Card (1973)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.