Caudwell's Mill, Rowsley
Corn, fulling and saw mills had existed on this site for many centuries. The present mill was built by John Caudwell in 1874, using two waterwheels to power stones for animal feed and flour. In 1885 the stones were replaced with roller mills and by 1898 both wheels had been replaced by turbines. In 1977 the Grade II* Listed mill closed and was taken over by a trust, to be run as a heritage centre.
Read more about the mill here.
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SK 2557 6575|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- CAUD-06911 - Saving the Mill
- E Caudwell Ltd, Caudwells of Rowsley (E Caudwell Ltd, 1974)
- Historic England National Heritage List for England
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Derbyshire XXIX.NW (1884)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 36
Related shop products
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.