Wallingford Mill, Wallingford
On or near the River Thames. Historical records indicate that there were four mills near the Castle in 1300. Henry VIII granted the lease of two mills near the Castle in 1528. At that time Pollington’s weir was built across the river, creating a mill stream which ran through the Castle grounds and drove two corn and two fulling mills. Pollington’s weir restricted river traffic and was removed in 1790. The Boughton family were millers in more recent times. Water power was still present up to about 1965, but had apparently gone by the 1980s.
|Corn mill, Fulling mill
|England, United Kingdom
|SU 607 891
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Foreman, Wilfred, Oxfordshire Mills (Phillimore & Co, 1983)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.