New River Head Mill, Clerkenwell
The mill, designed by engineer George Sorocold in 1707, was worked by both horse and wind power. It pumped water from the New River to nearby houses. In 1720 the sails were blown off and the mill thereafter was worked only by horse power. By the early 19th century only the base remained.
|Alternative names||Sorocold's Mill|
|Power source||Animal, Wind|
|Mill type||Tower mill|
|Mill function||Pumping mill/wheel|
|Location||Claremont Square Reservoir, Clerkenwell|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 312 827|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Blythman, Guy, Watermills & Windmills of Middlesex, 2nd edn, (Mills Archive, 2016)
- Windmill World
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.