Tower mill, Hornsea Brickworks
A wind-powered quarry mill/wheel in the historic county of Yorkshire, England.
See related images and documents.
See images only.
Built in 1865 by J A Woods. He opened the brickworks at the site and used the windmill to provide the power to pump water out of the pit and to power a tramway incline. The mill was a brick tower mill, with five sails and a fantail. The mill provided energy for around forty years before being replaced by steam.
|Mill type||Tower mill|
|Mill function||Quarry mill/wheel|
|Location||Hornsea, East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TA 2013 4645|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Gregory, R and Turner, L, Windmills of Yorkshire (Stenlake Publishing Ltd, 2009)
- Gregory, Roy, The Industrial Windmill in Britain (Phillimore, 2005) p 139
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Yorkshire CXCVII.NE (1911)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.