Post mill, Stokenchurch
This post mill was built in 1736. It was of open-trestle design, with three crosstrees and six quarterbars, and had two common sails and two with longitudinal shutters. It worked into the 1920s, but was blown down in 1926. Stokenchurch became part of Buckinghamshire in 1896.
|Mill type||Post mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 7529 9625|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Group, "Buckinghamshire Windmills" (Records of Bucks, 20 (4), 1978)
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Buckinghamshire XLI (1885)
- Smith, Arthur C, Windmills in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire: a contemporary survey (Stevenage Museum publications, 1976), p. 22
- Smith, Donald, English windmills, vol 2 (Architectural Press, 1932), p. 127
- Vince, John, Windmills in Buckinghamshire and the Chilterns (Format Publishing, 1976), p. 26
Related shop products
Related publications in the library
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.