Smock mill, South Weston
This tower mill was built in 1767, became derelict by 1818, and was rebuilt in 1852. It had four common sails, a boat cap and was weathered by tailpole and cartwheel. The tower was only two storeys high. It worked into the twentieth century, used for stone grinding, and was demolished c1920. A cottage called Mill House remains.
|Mill type||Smock mill|
|Mill function||Colour mill, Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 699 986|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Foreman, Wilfred, Oxfordshire Mills (Phillimore & Co, 1983)
- Gregory, Roy, The Industrial Windmill in Britain (Phillimore, 2005) p 139
- Major, J K, SPAB Mills Section Record Card (1973)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Oxfordshire XLVII.2 (1919)
- Smith, Arthur C., Windmills in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire (Stevenage Museum publications, 1975)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.