Tower mill, Hornton
This was a stone tower mill with a domed cap, chain weathering gear and common sails. It is shown on 1787 and 1882 maps, and its location is also shown on the OS map for 1968. It ceased working for a period round 1869 but was working again by the early twentieth century. In 1907 the mill carried four sweeps. The roof was constructed from copper on lead. The mill was demolished in the late 1960s.
|Mill type||Tower mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SP 389 449|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Foreman, Wilfred, Oxfordshire Mills (Phillimore & Co, 1983)
- Smith, Arthur C, Windmills in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire: a contemporary survey (Stevenage Museum publications, 1976)
- The Museum of the History of Science, Oxford has two photos, taken by HMJ Underhill, dated 1907. Photocopies of these photos are in the Mills Archive collection.
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.