Mountsorrel Mill, Mountsorrel
The mill was built in 1765. It had two undershot waterwheels and six stones. It was occupied by:
To 1842 - Timothy Hives
1842-1865 - Richard Everard
1865-1874 - Edwin Gosling (Richard Everard probably still owned the Mill until 1871)
1874-1912 John Sleath Smith (possibly in occupation from 1872)
John Sleath Smith’s son, Walter Adam Smith continued to operate the mill until it ceased working and was partly demolished during WWI. The remaining internal machinery was removed in WWII and the building demolished in 1960 to make way for a slipway and weir.
|Power source||Steam, Water|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SK 5807 1522|
- Everard, Richard, Notes on Mountsorrel Mill (2016)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Leicestershire XXV.2 (1884)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.