Kew Lane Mill, Calne
A mill had probably stood here since medieval times. Until the 19th century it belonged to the lord of Compton Bassett manor. It was partly used for fulling from the 17th-18th centuries, for cloth making in the early 19th century and then for grinding corn. It ceased work after 1885 and was demolished by 1899.
|Mill function||Corn mill, Fulling mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SU 0034 7044|
- 'Calne: Economic history', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17, Calne, ed. D A Crowley (London, 2002), pp. 79-94. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol17/pp79-94 [accessed 2 November 2020].
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Wiltshire XXVII.6 (1884)
Jack Iason, September 2020
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.