Phelps Mill, Quemerford
The mill was in existence by 1663 and was used for corn milling and fulling. By the 19th century the site included a clothing mill, called Hole mill, and a separate grist mill, later converted to a cloth factory c 1815. From the 1830s the site was occupied by Samuel and John Dowding who manufactured rugs, mops and yarn. By the 1870s the mill made paper. The mill was out of use by 1880 and demolished between 1885 and 1889.
|Alternative names||Hole Mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill, Fulling mill, Paper mill, Textile mill|
|NGR||SU 0061 7017|
- 'Calne: Economic history', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17, Calne, ed. D A Crowley (London, 2002), pp. 79-94. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol17/pp79-94 [accessed 27 October 2020].
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Wiltshire XXVII.6 (1886)
Jack Iason, September 2020
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.