Diamond Ropeworks, Royton
Also known as Cocker Mill and Irk Mill. Built earlier than 1832 originally. Used for fustian cutting by 1891 and taken over in 1897 by Hardman, Ingham & Dawson Ltd for rope and twine making. This ceased following a fire in 1983 and it was taken over in 1975 by Sammy-Woodland Ltd for scarf manufacture. Finally closed 1994 and demolished 1995. The steam engine was saved and is at Bolton. The Shaw/Royton border was altered post demolition so the housing development that replaced it is officially in Royton.
|Alternative names||Cocker Mill|
|Power source||Steam, Water|
|Mill function||Rope mill, Textile mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SD 929 081|
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.