Moygashel Linen Mills, Moygashel
The Moygashel Linen Mills were established in the 1780s by Thomas Boardman who erected a bleach green, bark mill and dye works. By 1860 the mills were owned by William Orr & Sons, who converted them into a flax mill which burnt down in 1868. Robert Stevenson rebuilt the mill in 1876, adding weaving and beetling sheds which were powered by water supplemented by a 40hp engine. The company built houses for the workers and introduced new technology in the 20th century, including a Lancashire boiler and later a 300hp engine. In 2000 the site became a shopping village known as 'Linen Green'.
|Bark mill, Beetling mill, Bleach mill, Flax mill, Textile mill
|Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.