Brookside Steam Mills, St Neots
The site of this mill on Brook Street went through various identities. Originally a corn mill in the 1820s, under the Squire family, it was sold by George Squire and remained unused until 1859. John Powers took over and it was called Brookside Steam Mills. He left soon after 1862 whereby it became George Bower's Vulcan Iron Works, known as Meter Works on OS maps. Between 1900-1907 it was used by a company aking Maltcon dried vegetable cubes. During WW1 it was requistioned to station troops. After the war Paine and Co Ltd turned the site into a Malt Extract Factory, which suffered a devistating fire in 1947 and again in 1955 at which point it was abandoned.
|England, United Kingdom
|TL 1842 6009
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Huntingdonshire XXV.11 (1889)
- Tebbutt, C. F., St. Neots History of a Huntingdonshire Town (Unwin Brothers, 1978)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.