Dock Flour Mill, Dublin
This mill belonged to William Brown and Sons, and was one of the first in Dublin to use steam power and roller milling technology. When roller milling first came to Dublin, the mill contained twenty pairs of stones, and a subsequent half high-grinding system was introduced with smooth iron and porcelain rolls.
The mill was destroyed in a fire in 1885, causing between £14,000 and £15,000 worth of damages.
It was immediately rebuilt and refitted by Thomas Robinson and Son of Rochdale, with full roller mill system capabilities.
The mill has since ceased production and been demolished.
|Alternative names||W Brown and Sons|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Location||Hannover Street East, Dublin|
- Historic 25 inch map (1888-1913)
- J P Griffith, 1888 Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Visits to Works, Port of Dublin (1888)
- James Ostler, The Insurance News (15 May 1886)
- The Standard (9th July 1886)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.