Town Mill, Wincanton
A mill was mentioned at Wincanton in the Domesday Book, 1086, and later in 1475 and 1567 when it was called Alford's Mill. It later belonged to the Swanton and Thorn families. An underground tunnel carried water from the River Cale to the mill.
By the 1860s the mill was used for manure manufacture and known as Old King's Mill. It burnt down in 1868.
From 1875 to 1889 a water-powered boot and shoe factory operated here, before the site reverting to corn milling. The mill was now known as Town or Orledge's mill and was powered by steam and then gas and diesel. Orledge and Sons ran the mill until it was taken over by BOCM and then UAM Ltd. The mill continued to run grinding animal feed until demolition in 1973.
|Alternative names||Alford's Mill, Old King's Mill, Orledge's Mill|
|Power source||Combustion engine, Steam, Water|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||ST 7107 2859|
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Somerset LXV.16 (1886)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Somerset LXV.16 (1903)
John Roake, February 2018
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.