Melin Llywenan, Pen-llyn
Water was taken from Llyn Llywenan to a pond immediately east of the mill, and the tail race fed Pandy Llywenan 300 metres to the south-west. The corn mill probably dates from the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century, and its two storeys are built of random rubblestone under a pitched slate roof. The wheelpit is on the north gable; by 1975 the wheel had been removed but its heavy wooden axle and a massive wooden launder remained in situ. The single storey extension, built of heavily mortared rubble with a slate roof, was probably added at the beginning of the twentieth century when the corn mill was acquired by the owner of Pandy Llywenan and converted to wool spinning with a third-hand spinning mule. Weaving, fulling and dyeing continued at Pandy LLywenan, producing heavy woollen cloth for local use. However, in 1940 both buildings were acquired by a new owner and began making fashion tweeds. It was the last woollen mill to operate in Anglesey. In 1975 the faded name "Anglesey Tweed Mill" could still be discerned on the door to the extension. Inside the building, under stored hay, were a carding engine by Cliffe and Co, Longwood near Huddersfield, and several other items of textile machinery. The former mill is Grade II Listed.
|Anglesey Tweed Mill, Llywenan Factory
|Corn mill, Woollen mill
|Wales, United Kingdom
|SH 34468 82149
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales
- Historic Wales Cadw Listed Buildings
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Anglesey XII.NW (1888)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.