Abbey Mills, Neath
The Grade II Listed mill was built in 1825 as a forge and rolling mill for Neath Abbey Ironworks, on the site of a late seventeenth-century copper works. The works was powered by a waterwheel on its north-east side, fed from a dam built across the head of the Clydach Falls. In the 1870s it was converted to a woollen mill. The woollen mill worked to 1974, at which point the machinery was bought by Swansea Museums and displayed in Swansea Industrial Museum until it was merged with the National Waterfront Museum, opened in 2005.
|Alternative names||Neath Abbey Ironworks|
|Mill function||Forge mill, Rolling mill, Woollen mill|
|Country||Wales, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SS 73760 98068|
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales - Ironworks
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales - Woollen mill
- Historic Wales Cadw Listed Buildings
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Glamorgan XV.12 (1918)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.