Hannan's Mill, Killucan
The house and adjoining flour mill were built in the mid 19th century. The complex of outbuildings to the south and south west of the property made up the corn mill, having rubble limestone walls with square-headed openings and pitched roofs. There was also a cast-iron aqueduct. The mill suffered from a devastating fire in 1883, causing £50,000 of damage.
The house and mill were later purchased by Father Terence O’Rourke, of the Order of Saint Camillus, at a cost of £5,000, becoming part of the St. Camillus Nursing Centre. The old cast-iron aqueduct was used as a swimming pool.
|Roller flour mill
|Killucan, County Westmeath
- The Finance Chronicle and Insurance Circular (15 Janurary 1885)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.