Robinson's Mill, Deptford
The Doomsday Book of 1086 and Roque’s map of 1745 both record mills on this part of the Thames, so the site has a long history of milling.
Robinson's steam powered roller mill was built in the 1820s. It replaced the tide mills which previously existed on the site. The mill suffered a fire in 1881, causing £31,000 of damage (as of 1885).
Robinson's became part of Associated London Flour Millers in 1921, which was then purchased by Joseph Rank Ltd in 1932. The mill was finally demolished in the 1970s after another fire.
|Alternative names||Deptford Bridge Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Tide mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Location||Deptford Bridge, Deptford, London|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||TQ 373 770|
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, London (First Editions c1850s) LXVIII (1873)
- The Finance Chronicle and Insurance Circular (15 Janurary 1885)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.