Graig Ddu Slate Works, Blaenau Ffestiniog
A water-powered quarry mill/wheel and slate mill in the historic county of Merionethshire, Wales.
See related images and documents.
See images only.
Graig Ddu slate works was built in the 1880s and was initially water-powered. It was supplied with slate from the quarry further uphill by means of an inclined plane. Several reservoirs, or dammed natural lakes, were used to supply water , by means of existing streams, leats or iron pipes, supports for which have survived. On the works site is a waterwheel pit and buildings. In the early C20 water power was superseded by a gas-powered engine, the base of which has survived. On the W (downhill) side of the works are spoil tips. The works continued in production until 1946.
|Mill function||Quarry mill/wheel, Slate mill|
|Location||Blaenau Ffestiniog, Ffestiniog|
|Country||Wales, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SH 71575 45477|
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales - Full site
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales - Slate mill 1
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales - Slate mill 2
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales - Wheelpit
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Merionethshire IV.10 (1901)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.