Hafodlas Slate Quarry Mills, Betws-y-Coed
A water-powered quarry mill/wheel and slate mill in the historic county of Caernarfonshire, Wales.
See related images and documents.
See images only.
Hafod-las slate and slab quarry is located on the south side of the Llugwy vallay above Pentre-du and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It dates from the mid-nineteenth century as a an open quarry. It was worked on four levels. The main mill was on the third level down, blocks from below being raised up to it by means of power conversion of the main incline. The first all corrugated-iron mill seems to have been built here in 1901. Enamelling was carried out as a sideline to slab production. The quarry operated on a small scale in the 1920s but closed in the early 1930s. Surviving remains are extensive. These include the main incline and subsidiary inclines with remains of drumhouses, the main mill (with traces of an earlier mill) and other buildings, tunnel access to quarry from lowest level, forge and workshop, weighhouse, powder house and manager's house.
|River||Tributary to Llugwy|
|Mill function||Quarry mill/wheel, Slate mill|
|Country||Wales, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SH 78000 56170|
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales
- Historic Wales Cadw Listed Buildings
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Suffolk XX.NW (1888)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.