Regent Mills, Glasgow
A mill had existed on the site since the Stuarts and medieval times, and for three and a half centuries the old Regents mills were in the possession of the Bakers' Incorporation of Glasgow.
The original mill was burnt down in a fire in 1886, and its ownership passed to John Ure & Sons, who rebuilt the buildings. In 1888 a new roller plant was installed by Henry Simon with modern machinery, and precautions were taken to prevent fire from being able to spread again. Architect James Davidson added a four-storey, attic and basement, 6-by 2-bay red brick wheat silo and a single-storey 5-bay block beside the railway.
The mill was purchased in 1903 from John Ure & Sons by Mr. Isaac M’Donald and opened in 1904 as a Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society (SCWS) property. It was purchased by Joseph Rank Ltd in 1921.
The mill ceased milling and was demolished in the 1970s.
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|NGR||NS 564 663|
- Flanagan, James A., Wholesale Co-Operation in Scotland: The Fruits of Fifty Years' Efforts (1868-1918), (Glasgow, 1920)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Lanarkshire VI.5 (1913)
- The Co-Operative Wholesale Societies Limited Annual 1915, (Manchester, 1915)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.