CWS Sun Flour Mills, Manchester
The mill was opened in 1906, after it purchased from Baxendells by the Co-operative Wholesale Society (CWS). The mill was then immediately enlarged. The original warehouse and provender mill were turned into silos whilst the old office, a small warehouse and cottages were pulled down to make room for a new warehouse and provender mill. The Sun mill had a capacity, which ran at 30-40 sacks per four. This was increased to 70 sacks in the first three years of ownership.
In 1913, it became the U.K.’s largest mill. It was damaged during the Second World War. After the mill became financially unviable it was closed in December 1978 and demolished a few months later.
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Location||Trafford Wharf Road, Manchester|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SJ 809 966|
- John F. Wilson, Anthony Webster, Rachael Vorberg-Rugh, Building Co-operation: A Business History of The Co-operative Group, 1863-2013 (2013)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Lancashire CIV.13 (1922)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 117
- The Co-Operative Wholesale Societies Limited Annual 1915 (Manchester, 1915)
Stephen Birds, February 2021.
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.