CWS Star Mills, Oldham
The mill was built by the Oldham Equitable Society in 1868, and run as a federal mill. A fire in 1889/90 destroyed much of the mill, but new buildings were erected. The mill started as a stone mill, and was upgraded to roller machinery shortly before the fire of 1889/90.
The Co-operative Wholesale Society (CWS) took the mill over in March 1906, and transferred their business from Rochdale Flour Mill to the Star Mill the following year.
Messrs. Thomas Robinson & Son installed machinery into the newly built 1890 mill. This gave the mill a capacity of 32 sacks, of 280 lbs, per hour.
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SD 930 045|
- John F. Wilson, Anthony Webster, Rachael Vorberg-Rugh, Building Co-operation: A Business History of The Co-operative Group, 1863-2013 (2013)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Lancashire XCVII.10 (1894)
- The Co-Operative Wholesale Societies Limited Annual 1915, (Manchester, 1915)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.