Barrow Steam Corn Mill, Barrow-in-Furness
The mill was built in 1870 by a syndicate of local businessmen with ties to the railway and steel companies. They employed William Gradwell, a local builder, to construct the mill, and it doubled in size within three years of being completed. By 1880 the mill was sold to Walmsley and Smith, Millers and Corn Merchents, and then to Edward Hutchinson Ltd in 1903.
The mill was considered extremely innovative. It was the first building in Barrow to be lit by electric lighting, which was installed in 1885, and it soon adopted the Hungarian roller technique of grinding grain. It was the first corn mill of its type to be fitted with an automatic sprinkler system, in the late 1880s. It was initially connected to a large dockside warehouse, although in the early 20th century four steel silos were built to cope with its increased capacity. The mill was closed in 1967, and then destroyed by a fire in 1972.
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill function||Corn mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SD 195 469|
- Elsworth, Daniel W & Sam Whitehead, “The Barrow Steam Corn Mill, 1870-1972” (Transactions C&WAAS CW3, 10, 2010, pp. 55-75)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Lancashire XXI.11 (1913)
- Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 092
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.