Clearwater Paper Mill, Whitebrook
Clearwater Mill was established in about 1760, making it the earliest paper mill in the Wye Valley and may have been built on the site of an earlier wireworks. The paper mill was in operation until about 1875. Clearwater mill was supplied with water power from a dam and millrace, and later by a steam engine and a water turbine. The original machinery may have been largely Hollander beaters supplying hand-operated moulds and presses, but Fourdrinier-type continuous processes were introduced in the early 19th century. The remains include the millrace, two-storey mill building, chimney, culverts, and the platforms of buildings. The remains of the mill area Scheduled Ancient Monument.
|Power source||Steam, Water|
|Mill function||Paper mill|
|Location||Whitebrook, Trellech United|
|Country||Wales, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SO 53116 06774|
- Coflein, National Monuments Record of Wales
- Historic Wales Cadw Listed Buildings
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Gloucestershire XXXVIII.10 (1902)
- Ordnance Survey six-inch map, Gloucestershire XXXVIII.SW (1886)
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.