Alton Mill, Alton
There was a corn mill on this site from the late 12th century, belonging to Croxden Abbey. In 1708 it was bought by the Earl of Shrewsbury, and from 1734 used to make brass wire and pins by Thomas Patten & Co. In 1828 wire production moved to a new mill at Oakamoor, and Alton Mill was used variously as a flint mill, paper mill and colour mill. After WWI it became a saw mill, before closing in c 1932. The three water wheels were removed during WWII and the building was used as a cafe and then a petrol station.
|Alternative names||Old Wire Mill|
|Mill function||Colour mill, Corn mill, Flint mill, Paper mill, Saw mill, Wire mill|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|NGR||SK 0716 4264|
- Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Staffordshire XX.SW (1887)
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Staffordshire XX.SW (1924)
Steve Allen, January 2018.
Missing information? Click here to tell us about this mill.